JOB TITLE: Estimator
REPORTS TO: Director of Pre-Construction & Estimating
LOCATION: Portland, OR (Remote Opportunity)
DATE POSTED: 2021-12-10
MiTek is a platform innovator and enabler that exists to transform the building industry with better building solutions. In 1955, MiTek transformed residential construction with the invention of the Gang-Nail plate and a digital platform that provided an affordable and scalable way to manufacture wood trusses. Today, MiTek delivers software, services, engineered products, and automated solutions that enable the building industry to improve efficiencies by optimizing the balance between off-site and on-site. With nearly 5,600 team members worldwide, MiTek collaborates across the building industry to enable and accelerate transformational breakthroughs in design and construction to transform the way the industry designs, makes, and builds. As a Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK-A, NYSE: BRK-B) company since 2001, MiTek has a record of continuous growth and innovation. Learn more at www.mii.com.
We are seeking a dynamic and motivated Estimator who will provide routine clerical and non-clerical administrative support to the team during the bid-out process for multiple projects at one time. Receive and distribute plans and pertinent information for bids in a timely manner. This position joins our Preconstruction and Estimating team in Portland, OR and reports to the Director of Preconstruction and Estimating, Building Envelope Solutions.
Job Responsibilities & Requirements
- Produce and revise estimating material takeoffs with guidance from Estimators and Senior Estimators.
- Evaluates the project and determine the scope of the bid with the Director of Pre-Construction & Estimating.
- Reviews all architectural drawings, specifications, and addenda for the project.
- Reviews all proposal drawings, structural calculations, and other information prepared by Benson Engineering Department and outside consultants for compliance with the bidding documents.
- Evaluates the project construction schedule for visual mock-ups, performance testing, material delivery and field installation and advise the Manager.
- Prepares a complete quantity survey for all materials to be included in the scope of the bid.
- Prepares material summaries and sketches as required for the solicitation of quotations as required for the preparation of the cost estimate.
- Estimates all field and shop labor hours required for the scope of the work in conjunction with the General superintendent, Director of Preconstruction and Estimating and V.P. of Business Development.
- Obtains labor rates, tax rates, transportation expenses, duty rates and any other cost information as required for the preparation of the cost estimate.
- Solicits for subcontractor quotations as necessary to complete the scope of work. Update subcontractors with plans, specifications, and addenda.
- Reviews vendor quotations for accuracy, completeness, and conformity with the specifications.
- Updates vendors when addendums are issued and handle questions and clarifications from vendors.
- Prepares a complete and accurate cost estimate for the project.
- Meets required deadlines for proposals.
- Prepares sales prices, formal proposals, unit prices, and other breakdowns as required by the bid forms. Sales Price markup will be provided by the V.P. of Business Development.
- Prepares a complete list of inclusions, clarifications, and exclusions to be submitted with the bid.
- Utilizes Benson’s computerized estimating spreadsheets and proposal forms in Microsoft Excel, Bluebeam and Word.
- Assists in the preparation of the Benson’s Bid Package for submittal to the customer.
- Produce detailed unit takeoffs from architectural drawings.
- Prepare and send material RFP’s to vendors for quotations at direction of Senior Estimators.
- Assist in preparation of detailed project estimates with Senior Estimators.
- Occasionally printing / filing, as necessary.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Receive and distribute plans and pertinent information for bids in a timely manner.
- Contact vendors/sub-contractors for quotes, qualifications, and other information as required.
- Schedule and take minutes of scope review meetings.
- Assist with review construction documents.
- Follow up with general contractors to provide detailed bid proposal feedback in a timely manner following submissions.
- Performs additional assignments per the Manager’s direction.
- Attendance during regular work hours and overtime as required.
- Reports directly to the Director of Preconstruction and Estimating.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
College education and/or related business experience preferred.
- Two (2) years’ work experience in Sales and Estimating preferably in the Construction field.
- Clear familiarity and experience with a wide range of commercial glazing systems, including but not limited to glass door systems, point support wall systems, high span curtain wall and unitized curtain wall.
- Field experience for an understanding of curtain wall construction practice is desirable.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team-based environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Well organized and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
Proficient in AutoCAD, Revit, Bluebeam, and MS Office.
- Ability to understand architectural and structural drawings.
- Proficient in MS Excel, including basic formula writing and understanding.
- Math skills are required.
- Effective personnel interaction and communication skills to deal effectively with estimating staff and management.
- Strong telephone and interpersonal skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with customers.
- Organizational skills, follow-up, and efficiency skills required.
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities, remaining flexible and solution oriented.
- Prefer knowledge of PartnerPak estimating software for Kawneer.
- Knowledge of Kawneer/storefront products including training in basics of storefront framing and entrances.
- This position qualifies as a safety-sensitive position. A safety-sensitive position refers to a job in which the employee is responsible for his or her own or other people’s safety. It also refers to jobs that would be particularly dangerous if performed under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Safety-sensitive positions are often the focus of drug and alcohol testing.
Office Hours & Travel:
Full Time, Monday-Friday
Application for Position:
Please indicate your interest by submitting your resume by filling out an application online.
Selections will be made based on a combination of skills, knowledge, and abilities. Indicating your interest in this position does not necessarily guarantee that you will be hired.
Benson is an E-Verify and Drug and Tobacco-Free Workplace
We are an equal opportunity employer; and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ethnicity, physical or mental disability, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or transgender status), age (40 and over), genetic information (including family medical history), veteran status, or any other protected characteristic.
For accommodation to assist with completing this application, please contact Human Resources at +1 314-434-1200.