JOB TITLE: Estimator
REPORTS TO: Director of Pre-Construction & Estimating
LOCATION: Portland, OR
DATE POSTED: 2018-03-08
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluates the project and determine the scope of the bid with the Director of Pre-Construction & Estimating.
- Reviews all architectural drawings, specifications, and addenda for the project.
- Reviews all proposal drawings, structural calculations, and other information prepared by Benson Engineering
Department and outside consultants for compliance with the bidding documents.
- Evaluates the project construction schedule for visual mock-ups, performance testing, material delivery and field
installation and advise the Manager.
- Prepares a complete quantity survey for all materials to be included in the scope of the bid.
- Prepares material summaries and sketches as required for the solicitation of quotations as required for the
preparation of the cost estimate.
- Estimates all field and shop labor hours required for the scope of the works.
- Obtains labor rates, tax rates, transportation expenses, duty rates and any other cost information as required for the
preparation of the cost estimate.
- Solicits for subcontractor quotations as necessary to complete the scope of work. Update subcontractors with plans,
specifications, and addenda.
- Reviews vendor quotations for accuracy, completeness, and conformity with the specifications. Updates vendors when
addendums are issued and handle questions and clarifications from vendors.
- Prepares a complete and accurate cost estimate for the project.
- Meets required deadlines for proposals.
- Prepares sales prices, formal proposals, unit prices, and other breakdowns as required by the bid forms. Sales Price
markup will be provided by the V.P. of Business Development.
- Prepares a complete list of inclusions, clarifications, and exclusions to be submitted with the bid.
- Utilizes Benson’s computerized estimating spreadsheets and proposal forms in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Assists in the preparation of the Benson’s Bid Package for submittal to the customer.
- Performs additional assignments per the Manager’s direction.
- Attendance in the office during normal business hours.
Qualified Candidates Will Possess the Following:
- College education and/or related business experience preferred.
- Field experience for an understanding of curtainwall construction practice is desirable.
- MS Office, strong keyboarding skills, and AutoCAD 2017 required.
- Ability to read and understand technical architectural specifications and engineering data relating to exterior cladding
- Ability to read and understand architectural drawings, structural drawings, and curtainwall design drawings for the
purpose of quantifying the exterior cladding systems for both standard and custom curtainwall systems.
- An understanding of building materials as used in custom curtainwall cladding such as glass, metal panels, stone,
custom aluminum extrusions, and other support systems as they are applied.
- Ability to estimate field and shop labor hours.
- An understanding of building codes as it relates to the exterior cladding.
- Management and communication skills.
- High mathematical aptitude and communicating/writing skills..
Office Hours & Travel:
Full Time, Monday-Friday
Application for Position:
Selections will be made based on a combination of skills, knowledge, and abilities. Indicating your interest in this position does not necessarily guarantee that you will be hired.
Benson is an E-Verify and Drug and Tobacco-Free Workplace
We are an Equal Opportunity, M/F Veterans, People with Disabilities, Affirmative Action, and E-Verify employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, tribal affiliation, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, disability status, medical condition, genetics, pregnancy, or any other considerations under federal, state, or local law.